sdlfkfjlk

sdlfkfjlk

Monday, June 9, 2014

Road Journal - Michael Katon Tour - 2/28/14





Thursday, 2/28/14 – Well, we're in Donostia, right up in the Basque country on the northern coast, a very beautiful place. We are literally on the coast, too…the B&B we’re staying in overlooks the ocean, and although it’s rainy and windy, it’s also gorgeous. It IS damp in our rooms, though…even the sheets are mildly damp from the humidity, and I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t slightly uncomfortable. But the location really makes up for that! I’m betting in the summer this is a spectacular spot. The owners, as usual in Spain, speak no English, but also as usual we make our way by smiling and pantomime.



The venue we played at, Sala Doka, was a very big place, with good lights and an excellent sound system. The people were really nice and friendly too…our opening act was a group called The Inductions, who were very good indeed. We talked (only one of them was fluent in English, but we managed) and had a good conversation about music, the Basque world and life. I got a couple of their CDs, which I’ll have to listen to when I get back home…I have nothing to play them on now.



We were presented with a cold smorgasbord of food backstage, which infuriated Johnny and Tanya, who really wanted a hot meal. They left to find something else in town, which I can understand I guess, but Mike and I were tired and the food at the club was actually pretty good…essentially cold Tapas…and we both figured we probably wouldn’t find anything better elsewhere. Looking for a decent restaurant when you’re in a foreign country with limited time is a real crapshoot, as we’ve found out before. Plus, it allowed me to eat and have a bit of a lie-down before the gig, which I badly needed. I’m pretty much over this horrible cold, but I’m still so weak. This touring stuff ain’t for sissies!



 Both The Inductions and the Helltown Blues Band put in great performances for a medium-sized crowd…I don’t know how much promo had been done for this gig, but the place was about half full. Still, you play the same no matter how many people, and try to rock the house, and I think we did, too. Mike was telling the crowd “It’s been a while since we played in Spain”, and I got on my mic and shouted “And we love the Basque Country!!” which got a huge response. We can’t forget this isn’t quite Spain! These days it seems the Basques are cool with Spain, but they really like to have their culture acknowledged. And there are a lot of differences…I’d have to be here longer to really define it, but I can tell. Beautiful part of the world, and really nice people. One of the things I regret about touring with a schedule like this is that we can never stay long enough to really appreciate a place, its people and its culture. But that’s just how it is.



Tomorrow is the last gig of the tour!! Seems impossible, but true. It’s been seeming like an endless string of dates, but now there’s just one more.

No comments: